Piano World Home Page
Posted By: mettleramiel Roland HP2900G repair help - 12/01/21 05:06 AM
Hello there!

I just obtained a beautiful keyboard, but it has a pretty serious issue. It powers on, but there is no sound, not from the keys, the metronome or the includes songs. The internal amplifier works as I can plug a guitar into the INPUT jack on the back and the guitar comes out great. The output and headphone jacks produce no sound either. All of the buttons are responsive.m, e.g. lights go on then a different voice is selected.

Does anyone have any ideas where the culprit might be? Thanks.
Posted By: spanishbuddha Re: Roland HP2900G repair help - 12/01/21 08:33 AM
Open it up, if you're lucky something obvious will be visible, loose or disconnected wire, blown capacitor, charring or other damage such as lifted track or obvious dry joint. Maybe even a battery cell that can be replaced. Otherwise, you need a scope and multimeter and circuit diagram to go with some electronics knowledge to perform troubleshooting. Taking it to a repair shop may cost more than it's worth compared to equivalent new.
Posted By: Pro-TAC Re: Roland HP2900G repair help - 12/01/21 09:09 AM
Did you check the local on/off switch on the back?
Posted By: mettleramiel Re: Roland HP2900G repair help - 12/01/21 03:56 PM
Yes, that's one of the first things I've checked.

The keyboard is opened up, but I haven't checked everything thoroughly yet
Posted By: Ajax69 Re: Roland HP2900G repair help - 12/01/21 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by mettleramiel
Yes, that's one of the first things I've checked.

The keyboard is opened up, but I haven't checked everything thoroughly yet

You might want to have a look at this thread:

https://www.justanswer.com/electron...and-hp-2900g-digital-piano-turns-no.html

Good luck!
Posted By: mettleramiel Re: Roland HP2900G repair help - 12/01/21 04:52 PM
Thanks! I did actually go over that thread already, that's how I knew to check that the internal amp was workint. Unfortunately, the thread peters out once the person seeking assistance changes what is wrong and no answer is ever provided
Posted By: Ajax69 Re: Roland HP2900G repair help - 12/01/21 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by mettleramiel
Thanks! I did actually go over that thread already, that's how I knew to check that the internal amp was workint. Unfortunately, the thread peters out once the person seeking assistance changes what is wrong and no answer is ever provided

Ok. Didn't check it all the way... :/(
Posted By: Pro-TAC Re: Roland HP2900G repair help - 12/02/21 05:43 AM
I don't have a 2900 service manual, but I have HP2700 manual .The master volume control is controlled by VCA circuit , so it may be broken or there may be a problem with the volume fader. If the output of the DAC is normal, I guess it's a VCA circuit.
Posted By: mettleramiel Re: Roland HP2900G repair help - 12/02/21 08:31 AM
The volume slider seems to work. With the shielding removed from the mainboard, there is a slight buzzing which is affected by the volume slider
Posted By: Pro-TAC Re: Roland HP2900G repair help - 12/02/21 01:57 PM
If there is no rhythm or metronome sound, then the main volume VCA instead of the DAC Is suspicious.There may be a sound if you bypass the main volume
Posted By: mettleramiel Re: Roland HP2900G repair help - 12/02/21 03:48 PM
Is your repair manual a physical or digital copy?
Posted By: Pro-TAC Re: Roland HP2900G repair help - 12/03/21 08:38 AM
The service manual is following URL.
https://www.synthxl.com/hp-2700/

Good luck.( ^ω^ )
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums