Piano World Home Page
Posted By: Felix Yamaha CLP 820 - 08/17/01 02:04 PM
Hi:

I am thinking of buying a used Yamaha digital piano (CLP 820), does anyone have an opinion regarding this particular digital? Thanks,

Felix. laugh confused
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Yamaha CLP 820 - 08/20/01 11:42 AM
Hi Felix,

I had a CLP820 for two years and was quite satisfied with it. Its sound is very good. Bright, silvery - well, like a Yamaha. It's also easy to play and has weighted keys.
However, I'm not sure if I would recommend it though. I think it depends on what you are going to do with it and why you think of buying a digital.
I bought mine because I was only starting the piano and wasn't too sure if I have any talent/be able to learn it at the age of 28.
Therefore, I didn't want to invest a lot of money in an acoustic piano which I might not be able to play. A digital seemed a good alternative here. Also, the CLP820 as a digital doesn't make too much noise and can be played with headphones [if you buy one be aware to also purchase really really good headphones - you'll definitely need them!] which comes in handy when you live in a big appartement house.
If you're in a similar situation I'd say go for it.
However, I sold mine and bought an acoustic piano and I don't regret it. A digital, be it as good as it may, will never be the same as an acoustic piano.

Btw: what price do they ask for the CLP820 and how old is the one you're looking at?

Hope I have been of any help.
Cheers,
Nici
Posted By: Felix Re: Yamaha CLP 820 - 08/21/01 12:55 AM
Hi Nici:

Thanks for your reply. The digital I am looking at was built in 2000 and the asking price is $1,000.

Felix.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Yamaha CLP 820 - 08/21/01 08:19 AM
Hi Felix,

I don't know the prices in the USA but if they are the same as in Germany then $1,000 is very near the price for a new CLP820.
Since prices for digital pianos tend to deteriorate after a short time span, I'd suggest you try to bring the price down to about $800 or $900 the max? This depends of course on what dealers are asking for a brand new one.
Anyhow, for that price you surely won't get a decent acoustic piano - so, play the CLP820 and if it's ok and you feel comfortable with it...go for it.

Cheers and if you really buy it: have fun
wink
Nici
© Piano World Piano & Digital Piano Forums