2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
109 members (benj.ma, accordeur, 36251, Adagiette, AlphaTerminus, AaronSF, anotherscott, Alex Hutor, 20 invisible), 1,024 guests, and 527 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Piano Photo Gallery - Pictures of Pianos Jump to new posts
Blüthner patent action una corda lever end invincing 2 hours ago
This is the end of the una corda lever in a grand piano with Blüthner patent action. Should there be some padding here (felt, leather)?
0 6 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
Bronzing Powder Mixing Turning Yellow Gold into Deep Gold Chernobieff Piano 3 hours ago
I had a supply problem finding Deep Gold to spray the piano plates with. Video shows a fix by mixing powders.

-chris
0 54 Read More
Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
How does Rachmaninoff write a melody? 🎵 FredVinerPiano 5 hours ago
How does Rachmaninoff write a melody? 🎵

Check out my latest video in which I wade through the many sumptuous passages of his famous 2nd Piano Concerto discussing motifs, phrase structure and more than a few surprising connections…

0 79 Read More
Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
XVIII Chopin prelim, data breakdown cygnusdei 6 hours ago
I had too much free time on my hand, so I thought this could be of interest to you as well:

https://usaupload.com/4TWC/chopin2020.xlsx

The XVIII Chopin Competition is now getting into the first stage, while the preliminaries happened in July. Some statistics: 151 competitors from 30 countries entered, top 3: Japan (31 competitors), China (29), Poland (16). There were 63 pieces played, the top 3: Ballade in F minor, Op. 52 (45 competitors), Etude in F, Op. 10/8 (40), Etude in A minor, Op. 25/11 (33).

The data is also broken down by which piano was played, either a Yamaha CFX or a Steinway D - 104 competitors chose Steinway, 46 chose Yamaha. Out of the 45 who played Op. 52, 14 was on Yamaha, 31 on Steinway.

It's interesting that the organizer had no trouble switching pianos back and forth between performances, presumably to adhere to a previously agreed upon ordering of the competitors. I had a chance to skim through the performances, and my impression was it's a mix of mere mortals and very strong contenders. One that stood out was Yasuko Furumi (Japan) playing the Etude Op. 10/7 wow

If you want to know more about the data etc. let me know!

(Would it help to have a plain .csv file as well? I realize .xlsx is accessible also by Google software now).
0 84 Read More
Member Recordings Jump to new posts
Schumann: Kinderszenen, Op. 15: No. 7 in F Major, Träumerei BayHalt 8 hours ago
Schumann: Kinderszenen, Op. 15: No. 7 in F Major, Träumerei

0 17 Read More
Digital Pianos - Electronic Pianos - Synths & Keyboards Jump to new posts
Kawai ES520 user's own thread 36251 Yesterday at 08:11 PM
Hi,

I just picked up my ES520. I upgraded from ES110. Quality control seems great (no rattles, sticking keys, etc.)

The 920/520 user thread, IMHO, is mostly 920 owners, and I thought a less-bloated 520 thread will let current and future owners a more focused place to visit.

Don't have much more to add at this point. First impressions playing through the voices and listening to the demo confirms that it will be a great gigging piano.
0 109 Read More
Blüthner patent action una corda slot invincing Yesterday at 05:40 PM
This is the una corda slot at the bottom of a 1918 Blüthner patent action. Should there be some (brass?) part here protecting the wood from wear?
0 28 Read More
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Innovations in the piano (Wikipedia article) cygnusdei Yesterday at 12:40 PM
The Wikipedia article below gives an overview of innovations in piano, highlighting 19th century developments and later contributions that sought to improve an already mature piano-making technology. What do you guys think? I thought an aspect missing in the article was features that allows for softer sound: una corda in grand pianos, felt and sordino pedals in upright pianos (which are emulated by Steingraeber in their concert grand). But the most interesting thing seems to be the part about the magnet-adjustable variable touch system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innovations_in_the_piano
0 131 Read More
MY NEW PIANO or KEYBOARD! - Share Your Story! Jump to new posts
My new player piano! McNugget 09/15/21 09:39 PM
So just yesterday I got a 1920s Cable Company of Chicago Euphona "Inner-Player" player piano (a mouthful I know), and it turned out better than I expected, it's the first acoustic piano I've ever owned, and I'm really happy with it. I'm going to get it tuned soon, but there was one other thing I wanted to address. Unlike most other player pianos the keys dont go down when it plays. The keys do go down when they play if I put just a few grams of weight on them, and I think the reason they don't normally is because the original ivory keys were replaced at some point with lighter plastic keys. It came with 50 piano rolls, and I might add some pictures to thread if anyone wants to see it!
0 62 Read More
Waltzin' Oniap 09/15/21 09:01 PM
Here's a nice little waltz I came across. I hope you enjoy it!

Jeff

0 32 Read More
Members Recordings - Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
Waltzin' Oniap 09/15/21 08:59 PM
Here's a nice little waltz I came across. I hope you enjoy it!

Jeff

0 35 Read More
Superbooth 2021 is happening clothearednincompo 09/15/21 02:52 PM
...right now: https://www.superbooth.com/en/

Expect some synth and music gear news: https://www.musicradar.com/news/best-of-superbooth-2021

No digital pianos, I assume.
0 150 Read More
Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Making a Soundboard for an Upright Piano Chernobieff Piano 09/15/21 04:23 AM
This is my latest video which shows a soundboard being made from raw lumber to Installation in an upright piano.

Note** I'm kinda proud of this one, as the new camera has amazing clarity in the moving shots. And the score that i found to use was very pretty.
Sometimes it just comes together.

-chris

0 120 Read More
New Baby MattressChick 09/14/21 10:45 PM
Adoption pics
0 33 Read More
Members Recordings - Pianist Corner Jump to new posts
swan lake arrangement Kalos Piano 09/14/21 03:01 PM
I was trying to improvise some Tiersen-esque waltz while some familiar notes popped into my head and something quite reminiscent of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake came up. I've then further organized the arrangement so this is not fully improvised.

0 62 Read More
Composer's Lounge Jump to new posts
swan lake arrangement Kalos Piano 09/14/21 02:59 PM
I was trying to improvise some Tiersen-esque waltz while some familiar notes popped into my head and something quite reminiscent of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake came up. I've then further organized the arrangement so this is not fully improvised.

0 38 Read More
Composer's Lounge Jump to new posts
I wrote a piano etude for finger independence CodySean 09/14/21 03:48 AM
https://musescore.com/user/31939342/scores/7009223

It's intended for RCM grade level 6 or maybe 7? Possibly you guys can help me narrow it down.

As I've gone about learning piano, I sometimes come across passages in pieces that require some fingers be held down and others play staccato melodies, or one hand play staccato while the other plays legato, and found these concepts a bit difficult to wrap my head around. This etude will hopefully help the intermediate player internalize these techniques a bit better.

I would like to get a recording for you guys soon, as it's obviously much more musical when performed by a person! So I'll be spending the next week or two getting it into my muscle memory. I'm actually surprised at how tricky some passages are for me...Namely the fast chord changes in the B section. Even though the form is AABA, every A section is played completely different and requires using different fingers/muscles (first two times are right hand, third time is left hand), so it's almost like learning whole new parts in a way.
0 85 Read More
Confirmation Dave Ferris 09/12/21 11:05 PM
Confirmation leadsheet - Charlie Parker
0 55 Read More
Musicians Welcome! Jump to new posts
George Enescu - Legend for Trumpet and Piano | BayHalt 09/11/21 07:37 PM
George Enescu - Legend for Trumpet and Piano |
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NexkWVRHxC8[/video]
0 81 Read More
FAQ - Piano Forum Jump to new posts
Steger spinet Grw 09/11/21 07:05 PM
Looking for info on a Steger spinet with a serial number of 1050.
0 59 Read More
Piano Tuner-Technicians Forum Jump to new posts
Young Chang Upright - missing Mute Rail jkess114 09/11/21 02:29 PM
Came across a Young Chang missing the entire mute rail. Its the with a pin on the treble side and a slot that captures it via a screw into the spring-loaded bracket on the bass side. I contacted the rep here but they don't carry it. Next move is to try a U1 bracket on in from a piano in my shop to see if it fits (seems reasonable) and try to get it from yamaha. Checking if anyone has one here they want to part with. Isn't it odd that Young Chang don't sell it?
0 138 Read More
Sliders To Move Novus NV5 Tenor1 09/10/21 05:28 PM
Can you recommend some type of sliders to put under a NV5 allowing it to be more easily moved on carpet? Thanks,
0 173 Read More
Friday Four Moog Mother 32 Composition RnRSymphony 09/10/21 03:53 PM
4 Moog Mother 32 synths
This piece took about 40 hours over the course of a week and a half to get from inception to finished product.
I welcome any and all feedback.
Anything will be helpful.
You won't hurt my feelings...
0 48 Read More
Keyboard height cygnusdei 09/10/21 03:32 PM
Kawai K-500, K-300, K-200, K-15
0 44 Read More
Musicians Welcome! Jump to new posts
Contemporary composers, classical music Francesco.Piano 09/09/21 09:18 AM
Hello everyone, I have a question for you :-)

I'm looking for contemporary composers who produce purely "classical" music, I'm not talking about performers/interpreters, but about "contemporary classic composers" let's say :-)

There are many magazines or websites that inform us about new releases but purely about interpretations of the great classics of the past; I am looking for composers of symphonies, concertos, sonatas and chamber music, but contemporary.

Do you have any suggestions you want to share?
I thank you in advance :-)
0 65 Read More
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain/Sostenuto Pedal issues
by Lance Jensen - 09/17/21 04:49 PM
Upgrade to Used Upright or Advanced Digital Piano?
by Connor5522 - 09/17/21 03:44 PM
Bronzing Powder Mixing Turning Yellow Gold into Deep Gold
by Chernobieff Piano - 09/17/21 03:18 PM
Kawai NV5 Or NV10?
by Tenor1 - 09/17/21 02:53 PM
Mic + subwoofer for an acoustic piano?
by WinstonSmith - 09/17/21 02:25 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,159
Posts3,133,062
Members102,758
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission