10 replies 1,387 views
S

Impact Tuning Hammer

Does anyone know if there are impact heads available for a standard tuning hammer? I’ve had the same hammer with rosewood handle for 36 years, health issues have me looking looking for ways to reduce the work load, but don’t want to “pull the pin” (excuse the pun) on a brand new Hammer if I’m not going to be happy. I’ve been considering the Levitan, but 80% of my clients have uprights, and it seems like the Levitan could have been better designed to tune uprights and grands with one tool.

Living in Saskatchewan (-31F here this week) means lots of pitch raising and after 2 of them, I’m all done.
Piano technician serving Southern Saskatchewan
Share Post
A

Re: Impact Tuning Hammer

I've not heard of an impact head to fit an existing handle, but having looked at the "Brand R" impact levers and deciding I wasn't sure I wanted to spend that amount on something I might not use very much, I had a look on the eBay and found the "Keyes Impact Piano Tuning Hammer/Lever" which is much more in the "impulse purchase" bracket. I still haven't bought one...!! They all seem to ship from the USA, which adds quite a bit when sending to the UK laugh
Started work at the Blüthner piano re-building workshop in Perivale, UK, in 1989. Self employed since 2000. Learning something new about pianos every day... smile

#hamiltonpianos

http://www.hamiltonpianos.com/
J

Re: Impact Tuning Hammer

An impact lever head wouldn’t work with a traditional lever. You need more weight on the end. Otherwise, the impact wouldn’t move the pin. I love my Reyburn vertical Cyberhammer! You won’t regret buying it once you learn how to use it. Get the lighter one. It’s well worth the extra cost (I’ve used both.)
John Formsma
P

Re: Impact Tuning Hammer

I just added an extension to my Fujan hammer increasing the leverage significantly. I have tried impact hammer but it didn't agree with me. I use an impact technique with the "normal" hammer fairly often. This works quite well.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor
Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
Share Post
J

Re: Impact Tuning Hammer

Saskatuner
Originally Posted by Saskatuner
So, are there different impact hammers for uprights and grands?

Yes. I didn’t like using the Reyburn impact for grands. I’m sure it’s a good tool, but I’m more able to get what I want with a 17” Fujan.
John Formsma
Share Post
W

Re: Impact Tuning Hammer

I have the Reyburn impact hammer for uprights and the one for grands as well. The upright one reduces a lot of stress from the traditional lever. I can tune up to tune up to 4 pianos a day and I am 75. The grand impact is pretty pricy, but it is well worth the money. It takes me bout 15 minutes longer to tune a grand, but once you catch on to it with the help of the RCT Cybertuning program you can produce some really solid tunings even with troublesome pianos.
One of the advantages is that has impact stops on both sides of their heads thereby minimizing flag polling.
Share Post
S

Re: Impact Tuning Hammer

You are doing well! When I’m driving out of town to tune, in some cases over 100 miles, I have to be able to tune more than 2 per day or the mileage charges per customer gets too high. Seems that people like the reyburn hammers. Are there any that do both an upright and a grand?
Piano technician serving Southern Saskatchewan
Share Post
W

Re: Impact Tuning Hammer

You can try to tune a grand with the upright hammer, but then you run the risk of it banging into the struts. You can put a cushion on the end of the hammer, but you have around a lot to find a workable position on the pin plus you would have some flagpoling from the handle.
Share Post
S

Re: Impact Tuning Hammer

Originally Posted by Wired4sound
You can try to tune a grand with the upright hammer, but then you run the risk of it banging into the struts. You can put a cushion on the end of the hammer, but you have around a lot to find a workable position on the pin plus you would have some flagpoling from the handle.
Yes, I see how that could be an issue.
Piano technician serving Southern Saskatchewan
Share Post

Advertisement
Advertisement
Forum Statistics
3,429,491 Posts
116,131 Members
230,458 Topics
Most Online: 60,203
Apr 28th, 2026
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5