Hello all; new member here.
I currently have a white Young Chang 5'2" baby grand that I purchased back in '95. I've been toying w/ the idea of trading up to a new piano lately and, on a whim, went back to the original dealer to see what he could do on a trade in.
I was particularly interested in either the Petrof V or the Yamaha C1 and was pleasantly surprised when my dealer offered me the full purchase price back on my YC. I suspect this is a result of him being a bit conservative on his discount off full retail.
The price offered on the Petrof is $19k while the Yamaha is $18k; both are polished ebony. Clearly to my ear the Petrof was much "warmer" sounding and the action seemed a bit better. I also noticed that the keys on the Petrof appeared less slippery and had a satin sheen to them while the Yamaha keys were a bit glossy/slippery.
The dealer made reference to the fact that Petrof is having distribution problems here in the US as they attempt to go a bit more upscale in their pricing. In light of the foregoing he has chosen to discontinue the handling of this line and seemed a bit reluctant to discount this unit any more than the $19k he originally quoted. My gut feeling, however, is he'd be willing to do a little bit better on the price of the C1.
I've played both and, in truth, I could be happy w/ either. I don't play nearly as much as I used to but but perhaps a new piano will change that as I've never been a big fan of the YC tone or action.
I've done searches on Petrof and have found conflicting info in regards to their quality. Yamaha, on the other hand, seems to be a safe purchase as it holds it's value relatively well and seems to be well made.
Would anyone care to weigh in on their respective opinions of these two instruments? Is it true that Geneva Intl. will no longer be the distributor of Petrof here in the US and future sales may go directly through Petrof itself? Finally what's the consensus on the "new" Detoa action vs. the previous Renner unit? Is one more desirable than the other?
Thank you in advance.
I currently have a white Young Chang 5'2" baby grand that I purchased back in '95. I've been toying w/ the idea of trading up to a new piano lately and, on a whim, went back to the original dealer to see what he could do on a trade in.
I was particularly interested in either the Petrof V or the Yamaha C1 and was pleasantly surprised when my dealer offered me the full purchase price back on my YC. I suspect this is a result of him being a bit conservative on his discount off full retail.
The price offered on the Petrof is $19k while the Yamaha is $18k; both are polished ebony. Clearly to my ear the Petrof was much "warmer" sounding and the action seemed a bit better. I also noticed that the keys on the Petrof appeared less slippery and had a satin sheen to them while the Yamaha keys were a bit glossy/slippery.
The dealer made reference to the fact that Petrof is having distribution problems here in the US as they attempt to go a bit more upscale in their pricing. In light of the foregoing he has chosen to discontinue the handling of this line and seemed a bit reluctant to discount this unit any more than the $19k he originally quoted. My gut feeling, however, is he'd be willing to do a little bit better on the price of the C1.
I've played both and, in truth, I could be happy w/ either. I don't play nearly as much as I used to but but perhaps a new piano will change that as I've never been a big fan of the YC tone or action.
I've done searches on Petrof and have found conflicting info in regards to their quality. Yamaha, on the other hand, seems to be a safe purchase as it holds it's value relatively well and seems to be well made.
Would anyone care to weigh in on their respective opinions of these two instruments? Is it true that Geneva Intl. will no longer be the distributor of Petrof here in the US and future sales may go directly through Petrof itself? Finally what's the consensus on the "new" Detoa action vs. the previous Renner unit? Is one more desirable than the other?
Thank you in advance.